Why do you think drug abuse is becoming more of a problem in our society?
The first step in writing an essay is to think about the vocabulary. Let’s try it with the question above.
Spend a minute or two making alternatives and finding synonyms or related words for words in the instructions
- Drug abuse = drug addiction, misuse, habit
- Drugs = heroin, cocaine, amphetamines, narcotics, hallucinogens, marijuana, cannabis, ecstasy, prescription drugs, hard drugs, recreational drugs, soft drugs, illegal substances
- Drug user = addict = victims of drug abuse = users
- Drugs = illegal substances
- Smuggling = trafficking
- Dealing = selling, pushing,
- Dealer = pusher, trafficker
- Common = widespread, rife, prevalent, ubiquitous
- Solution = solve
- Society = country, nation, communities, modern world
- Problem = concern, worry, fear, cause of anxiety
- Becoming = developing, happening, occurring, prevalent, widespread, increasing, growing, affecting us all
What do you want to do now?
- Have a look at some ideas for this topic (recommended)
- Have a look at the layout of this essay
- Read a problem and solution essay on this topic
You can find another essay on this topic and many other problem/solution essays at the Abu Dhabi Men’s College website http://www.admc.hct.ac.ae/hd1/english/probsoln/index.htm