Is education being devalued, now that everyone has degrees?
This page has some ideas and vocabulary for this topic. Add your own!
- Too much money is being spent on education, schools, and colleges. This money should be spent on other more important services
- People are becoming over-specialized. They know more than is necessary for their jobs. They are not flexible enough to be useful in other areas.
- The value of a degree is now lost. People don’t have respect for university graduates anymore, since everybody has a degree. This undermines the whole purpose of going to college
- People are now competing for jobs. The only difference is that they all the people looking for a job have degrees. The colleges raise expectations which are difficult for the government to meet.
- People who have spent years studying are reluctant to work in many jobs or for low salaries. They want high-level jobs with high salaries. Sometimes this is unrealistic. Employers want people to start at the bottom in order to get to know the business
A further point is that…
- Another point is that…
- Additionally, Furthermore.
- Not only that, but…
- Despite this,
- Many people claim that…
- However, I think…
- Some people say that…
- I believe, however, that…
- Pick the biggest ideas
- Pick ideas you can support with an example. No matter how strong or clear an idea or reason may seem to you, you need to be able to support it with an example sentence or two.
- Pick the most world-wide ideas (don’t pick an idea that is too specific or only true in your hometown)
- Put the ideas in order – the main reason, another reason, a third reason
- Eliminate ideas that might offend the reader – don’t include humor, very political, or sexist remarks in an examination situation. They might be fine in other writing, but not here.
What do you want to do now?
- Look at some ideas in favor of higher education
- Look at an essay AGAINST higher education
- Look at an essay FOR higher education
- Why do some students leave school early?
Look at other topics: