Welcome!

In the forum on this page you can see IELTS essays by people just like you. Hundreds of people added essays and comments and helped each other to get a great IELTS essay score! Have a look at their amazing writing!

Please note: This forum is closed!

closed

Sorry! However, please enjoy the hundreds of essays and thousands of comments still available here. A HUGE thanks to all the writers who commented and to all the visitors. We hope we've made IELTS writing less scary.

Popular Tags

Click the links below to see essays on that topic.

art business communication children crime culture economy education environment families food freedom globalization
health heritage  leisure media politics science society sports television travel technology transport university violence work

Avatar

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —




— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Should young people choose their career or should teachers and parents decide?
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
June 26, 2012
10:53 pm
Avatar
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 2
Member Since:
June 23, 2012
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Some say young people should choose the career they want to follow on their own. Others say that the choice should be made by teachers and parents. What do you think?


There is no doubt that career has a crucial role to play, when it comes to fulfilling one’s desires. These days it has become a growing trend for many young adults to select their  career by themselves in particular area instead of discussing with teachers and parents. To see whether this practice gives rises to greater concerns or offers more upsides, we have to look at both sides of the debate.

One of the most conspicuous aspects of going on the path which teachers and parents choose is that they are experienced and mature. Not only do they have deluge knowledge about the life, but they also offer didactic values to confront the challenges in the life. For instance, when I was in the school, my computer teacher advised me to do further study in computer science. I firmly believe that my success as computer engineer at present can largely be attributed to the proper guidance from my teacher. Also, teenagers always inclined toward attractive things in this vulnerable stage. As a result, they are less likely to take appropriate decision regarding their life.

There are, however, some arguments against the above mention view. Sometimes youths are forced to choose careers which are highly demanded in the society and many face difficulties to cope up with that. Undoubtedly, this can have a far reaching impact on a child mental and physical growth. Therefore, it is apparent why many are in favour of young adults to decide career on their own.

To conclude, it is evident from the above discussion that the decision related to career by young one’s can beget some valid concerns. Nevertheless, it can certainly benefit when parents and teachers help to make their decision; the role parents and teachers play to reshape children thoughts are astronomical, indeed.

June 27, 2012
12:31 pm
Avatar
Dongguan, China
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 88
Member Since:
March 2, 2012
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi, Baljinder.

 

First, I think your grammar must be good, and you can write complex sentences well though some of them are not absolutely correct. Also, you have a large vocabulary.

However, your intro. is very long, which is over 70 words but have no thesis sentence in it. You can benefit from giving your idea in the first paragraph. I can tell that you elaborately wrote some long and complex sentences, but simplifying the sentences sometimes could work better. 

SIMPLIFY

There is no doubt that career has a crucial role to play, when it comes to fulfilling one’s desires. These days it has become a growing trend for many young adults to select their  career by themselves in particular area instead of discussing with teachers and parents. To see whether this practice gives rises to greater concerns or offers more upsides, we have to look at both sides of the debate.

Undoubtely, career is in a crucial role to a person. Instead of dicussing with teachers and parents, many young adults today tend to choose their career more by themselves. For me, this trend is raising concern. I shall give my reasons why the youths should enquire the seniority below, after analysing the both practices.

June 27, 2012
5:02 pm
Avatar
writefix
Guest
Guests

Hello Baljinder and welcome to Writefix

A big thanks to Alison32559905 for her comments.

As Alison notes your introduction is a little long, at 71 words. It’s longer than one of your body paragraphs. You need to get straight to the point and to avoid empty padding.

You wrote:

To see whether this practice gives rises to greater concerns or offers more upsides, we have to look at both sides of the debate.(24 words)

This sentence is very nice, but could be used in a million essays. Try to make every sentence relevant to the topic. It’s also a just little too much when you only have 250 words – it’s not an term paper or a report! Here’s one possible rewrite which is more specific to the essay and also helps the reader to know what is coming in your essay:

This essay will give some reasons why teacher or parental advice can help students,  but warn against forcing young people into particular careers. (23 words)

This sentence could  also be used in a million essays, with a tiny change

To conclude, it is evident from the above discussion that the decision related to X can beget some valid concerns.

This wordy sentence is very pretty, but it’s a missed opportunity to give more ideas and examples.  At best, an examiner reading it is going to yawn and wonder when the writer is going to get to the point. At worst, chunks of standardized text will be subtracted from the word count.

This sentence could also  be used in a million essays

There are, however, some arguments against the above mention view.→  above-mentioned

Make your sentences specific to the topic. Keep going forward: Don’t use above-mentioned, or aforementioned, or anything that makes the reader have to go back and think. The reader is a goldfish, and the writer’s job is to keep the writing going forward. Here’s a more relevant rewrite:

There are, however, several reasons why advice from teachers or parents is not always helpful.

Word Choice/Word Form/Usage

  • Not only do they have deluge knowledge → extensive/broad/deep etc
  • many face difficulties to cope up with that. → many face difficulties to cope with that.
  • this can have a far reaching impact on a child mental  growth → this can have a far-reaching impact on a child’s mental growth

Shorten/Simplify

You wrote:

One of the most conspicuous aspects of going on the path which teachers and parents choose is that they are experienced and mature. (23 words)

Let’s shorten it. Quickly.

One reason for allowing teachers and parents to help young people with career decisions is that they are experienced and mature. (16 words)  OR

Teachers and parents can provide experience and maturity in advice on career choices.  (13 words)

You wrote:

they also offer didactic values to confront the challenges in the life.

‘Offer didactic values’ just means they teach. The sentence sounds nice, but doesn’t actually mean much.

 Specify: Avoid Generalizations

Also, teenagers always inclined toward attractive things in this vulnerable stage

What are ‘attractive things’? Flowers? Ming dynasty vases? 16th century Persian miniatures? Swarovski  crystals? This example is not supported clearly. The phrase ‘as a result’ in the next sentence does not explain it.  Avoid words like ‘thing’ and ‘way.’  

Ideas

In Paragraph Three, you wrote:

Therefore, it is apparent why many are in favour of young adults to decide career on their own.

No, it isn’t apparent at all, and saying it is doesn’t make it so.

You only have one idea in your third paragraph. To flesh out the third paragraph, you’ve added the sentence above, which again is very nice, but adds nothing to your ideas. Where are your ideas? In Paragraph Two, you have an excellent example of advice from teachers and how it influenced you. In your third paragraph, however almost nothing!

Have a look at the official descriptors for IELTS Task 2 Writing (public version) here, under Task Response. Look at Band 4 (yes, Band 4) where it says “presents some main ideas, but these are limited and not sufficiently developed.” 

Overall...

Baljiunder, you need more ideas and you have to develop them fully, instead of having many empty sentences.  Your writing ability is not in doubt, but you have to meet the demands of the IELTS format. 

Let’s look at Band 8, under Task Response: “presents a well-developed response to the question with relevant, extended and supported ideas.”  This is what you should be aiming at. Have three ideas for each side of your argument. Avoid tired phrases and empty circumlocutions.

You can see more examples of tired old phrases and generic sentences here and here. Avoid using these phrases, and instead give more ideas and examples from your own experience, just as the IELTS question asks.

June 27, 2012
5:12 pm
Avatar
writefix
Guest
Guests

Hi Baljinder

You have another essay here about the variety of food available to us. Before other people comment, perhaps you could look at the comments above regarding tired, standardized phrases, and add a new version with fresh original phrases. Around 30% of the essay on food is identical to the essay above.

Would you like to eat food which had been recycled a million times? Or would an IELTS examiner want to see phrases, sentences and entire chunks of text which had been used a million times in a million essays?

Me neither.

 

Paint by numbersImage Enlarger

 

Join the dotsImage Enlarger

June 28, 2012
6:34 pm
Avatar
Dongguan, China
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 88
Member Since:
March 2, 2012
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

An appropriate career sometimes can make a total difference to one’s life. Hence in order to have a bright future, many graduates will discuss career with their teachers and parents, and some will explore themselves for the answers. To me, listening to the elders’ opinion is indispensable, but I will still make decision basing on my own interest.

Living and working in the society for a longer time, doubtlessly, the parents and teachers have much more knowledge about the society. They know what careers are promising and in need by the employees. And by telling their own stories and experience, they are helping the younger generation to avoid needless detours. More important, they are teaching the young people to realize the realities and to get away from “Utopia”.

However, never will the youngsters be happy if they do not like their jobs. Merely following the seniority’s instruction cannot ensure the job satisfaction. So when choosing career, the youths must also consider what they want. And also, they need to take their abilities, potentials and strong points into account. In my view, there is no difference between choosing a parents-favored job and fighting for an unrealistic dream.

The ideal is people could have a career which follows on their interest but adopts the elders’ suggestions in the same time. Unfortunately, there is always the situation that the younger generation’s will conflicts with the seniority’s. If this situation happens, I think I will prioritize my interest, as long as it is practical. It is just hard for me to be active in the work I hate.

No one will understand a man’s desire more than this man himself. The youths, as I am concerned, should be encouraged to chase a career they wish, because it is their live not their parents or teachers or others.

June 28, 2012
6:47 pm
Avatar
Dongguan, China
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 88
Member Since:
March 2, 2012
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi, Enda.

 

Long time no "see". haha~

 

Finally, I finished my dissertation and a lot of stuff, and graduated from my university. What is more, my IELTS score was admitted by my new university. So, I got some time to take a good relax and back to this forum.

 

Although I don't have to take IELTS exam anymore, somehow now I feel kind of enjoy writing and reading others' essays. So, I want to say——thank you.

June 29, 2012
9:57 am
Avatar
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 21
Member Since:
June 25, 2012
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi,I am not a native english speaker. So Please think critically about my comments. 

There is no doubt that career has a crucial role to play, when it comes to fulfilling one’s desires. These days it has become a growing trend for many young adults to select their  career by themselves in particular area(I do not understand here) instead of discussing with teachers and parents. To see whether this practice gives rises(rise) to greater concerns or offers more upsides, we have to look at both sides of the debate.(I think you should clearly express you opinion here)

One of the most conspicuous aspects of going on the path which teachers and parents choose is that they are experienced and mature. Not only do they have deluge knowledge about the life, but they also offer didactic values to confront the challenges in the life. For instance, when I was in the school(at school), my computer teacher advised me to do further study in computer science. I firmly believe that my success as computer engineer at present can largely be attributed to the proper guidance from my teacher. Also, teenagers (are)always inclined toward attractive things in this vulnerable stage. As a result, they are less likely to take(make) appropriate decision regarding their life.

There are, however, some arguments against the above mention(ed) view. Sometimes youths are forced to choose careers which are highly demanded in the society and many face difficulties to cope up with that. Undoubtedly, this can have a far reaching impact on a child's mental and physical growth. Therefore, it is apparent why many are in favour of young adults to decide career on their own.

July 2, 2012
2:09 pm
Avatar
writefix
Guest
Guests

Hi Lifei

Thanks for the comments and revisions on Baljinder's essay.

I agree with all of them!  I was too focused on the long sentences, vocabulary and padding in the essay to look at the grammatical errors, so thanks for helping! Much appreciated!

Be careful with 'aforementioned' - your correction was very good, but it's better to avoid using the word completely. It makes the reader go back, but your writing should try to go forward at all times.  

July 2, 2012
2:34 pm
Avatar
writefix
Guest
Guests

Hi Alison and a big congratulations on getting into your new university!  Well done!

Some say young people should choose the career they want to follow on their own. Others say that the choice should be made by teachers and parents. What do you think?

Word Choice/Word Form/Usage

  • Living and working in the society for a longer time, doubtlessly, the parents and teachers have much more knowledge about the society. 
      
    Living and working in the society for a longer time, the parents and teachers undoubtedly have much more knowledge about the society.

It’s better to have ‘undoubtedly’ as near the verb as possible. In this sentence, it also helps that it moves the subject of the sentence (‘the parents’) to near the modifying clause.

  • Don't you mean ‘employers' here? 

They know what careers are promising and in need by the employees. → They know what careers are promising or in demand by employers.

  • the younger generation’s will conflicts with the seniority’s.→ the younger generation’s will conflicts with the older   OR    the younger generation’s will conflicts with the older generation’s.

You wrote:

No one will understand a man’s desire more than this man himself.

I’m being politically correct here. Why a man? Maybe this possible rewrite might work:

No one knows your desires better than yourself.

  • it is their live not their parents or teachers → it is their life, not their parents’ or teachers’.

Poetry in IELTS: Word Order

You wrote:

However, never will the youngsters be happy if they do not like their jobs.

I’d stick with a more standard word order:

However, youngsters will never be happy if they do not like their jobs.

Tone

In your third paragraph you wrote:

It is just hard for me to be active in the work I hate.

I think everyone will understand what you mean, but it’s not very well supported. It’s more of a spoken phrase as well. Perhaps this might be better:

For me, it would be very difficult to do [a good job in] work I disliked.

July 3, 2012
4:15 pm
Avatar
Dongguan, China
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 88
Member Since:
March 2, 2012
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
10sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

HI, Enda.

 

Thank you and the useful comment

Forum Timezone: Asia/Dubai

Most Users Ever Online: 299

Currently Online:
9 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1

Members: 172

Moderators: 1

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 3

Topics: 545

Posts: 2204

Moderators: Newestadmin: 0

Top
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!