Rainforest destruction is now recognized as one of the greatest environmental tragedies of all time. By why are the rainforests disappearing so quickly ?
- In 1800, there were 2.9 billion hectares of tropical forest worldwide. There are 1.5 billion hectares of tropical forest remaining.
- Almost 65% of Central America has been cleared to create pastureland for grazing
- Rainforest land cleared for pasture or farming degrades quickly and is usually abandoned.
- At least 42 million acres of tropical forest are lost each year, approximately 100 acres/minute.
- Between 1960-1990, 445 million hectares of tropical forest were cleared.
- We lose 50 species every day – 2 species per hour – due to tropical deforestation.
- The Virtual Rainforest http://www.msu.edu/~urquhar5/tour/
- Causes of Rainforest Destruction http://www.rainforestinfo.org.au/background/causes.htm
- Causes of Destruction http://www.savetherainforest.org/savetherainforest_006.htm
Back to Cause and Effect