Why do you think drug abuse is becoming more of a problem in our society?
Think about the topic above. Write any ideas down as they come to you – don’t organize yet!
- Increased individual freedom and choice
- Cheap drugs available on street
- Peer pressure to take drugs
- Rebellion against parents, authority
- People are looking for quick solutions to problem
- Dealers are pushing drugs
- Lack of police or customs control
- Lack of parental control
- Children and young people have money
- Some people feel trapped in dead-end jobs or social problems
- Poor relationship between parents and children
- Poor relationship between children and other older family members or friends
- Lack of role models
- Insufficient punishment from police
- Ordinary medications are widely available
- Some drugs are highly addictive
- Cultural aspects or leisure activities (music, dance etc) associated with drugs
- Not enough alternative activities
- Paranoia and incorrect information creates reaction in favor of drugs
- Urge to experiment is greater
- People are less conservative now than before
- People travel widely, and experience different cultures
- More knowledge about drugs from movies, novels, songs, etc
This is TOO MANY ideas! What should you do?
- Pick the biggest ideas
- Pick ideas you can support with an example. No matter how strong or clear an idea or reason may seem to you, you need to be able to support it with an example sentence or two.
- Pick the most world-wide ideas (don’t pick an idea that is too specific or only true in your hometown)
- Put the ideas in order – the main reason, another reason, a third reason
- Eliminate ideas that might offend the reader – don’t include humor, very political, or sexist remarks in an examination situation. They might be fine in other writing, but not here.
What do you want to do now?
- Look at a full essay on this topic of drug abuse
- Look at vocabulary for an essay on this topic
- Look at a suggested layout for an essay on this topic
Look at other topics: